Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's been a while...

Its been quite a while since I wrote in a blog. I did write in a journal while I was in Japan, one day I will transfer those thoughts into this blog. My friends are rather curious about how the trip was.

Spring Semester started two weeks ago now. I like all of my classes, of which there are only four, thank goodness. I'm taking Japanese 402, Modern Japanese History, Geology: Earth's Environments, and Anthropology: Human Origins.

That's not really why I chose to write now, though. I had a rather interested dream last night. It was a little more convoluted than normal, but I won't hold that against it. I'll instead choose to disregard the entire middle section that is basically entirely not related to the interesting part. The scene I saw just before waking refers back to an earlier segment of dream before I ventured out into the city and dealt with all the convoluted nonsense.

It started like this: I was traveling. Many of my traveling companions were the same people with whom I had traveled to Japan, though I have a strong suspicion that this dream did not take place in Japan given the complete lack of Japanese language in the dream (yes, I have dreamed in foreign languages before, only if I have studied the language though). I was hanging out with this guy, and it seems he took a liking to me, because his caretaker approached me and told me I was the best candidate so far for the guy's bride. It turns out the guy was royalty, and after conferring with his caretaker/advisor, both agreed that I would be the best match. I was pretty much asked to marry the prince and begin preparing to help rule a nation. I responded that I was not suited for the job. The advisor urged me to think on it, and get back to him. I did not have to rush my decision.

The rest of the dream proceded in it's nice convoluted way until the end. Just like most mornings during the Winter Term trip in Japan, my room mate and I packed up our stuff. For some reason my suit case had been changed, and I was given a thin plain suit case to put my things in. Inside there were empty garment bags, cosmetics bags, towels, all labeled "Property of the King's Companion". I didn't find it funny.

Upon exiting the room, my room mate headed towards the elevator, I waved her off telling her that I would catch up later. After recieving her confirmation of having heard me, I went the other direction down the hall. I found the room I was searching for. I was basically the next room down on the opposition side of the hall of mine. I took a deep breath and knocked. What appeared to be a secretary opened the door with her hands full of papers. "Can I help you?" she asked.

"Um, yes, I was told to find a Mr. (i forgot the name)."

The old advisor appeared at the secretary's shoulder. "Ah, you came, Ms. ___"

"Yes, I made my decision." I lowered my voice, "Can I please speak with you alone?"

"Of course, come in and wait on the couch. I be right there."

I went and sat down on the couch. The room I had entered was more of a suit. The first room seemed to be a living area, though currently it was filled with people scurrying about with stacks of paper, and making calls. The coffee table before the couch was filled with platters of food. I ignored these. It might surprise you, but I was rather nervous about telling the advisor my decision.

Shortly the advisor came and sat next to me on the same couch. The prince had followed behind him and sat alone of the loveseat at a right angle with the couch I was on. I glowered at the advisor, "I thought I said I wanted to speak with you alone, not in a room full of people and with the prince we're talking about." Since recieving the impromptu marriage proposal, I was very shy around the prince despite not having been so before. The advisor asked if it was a problem. With a sigh I replied, "No, no it's okay. I guess he should hear, too."

"I made my decision about the proposal you gave me. I know that you were looking for a leader, not so much a bride, but that doesn't change the fact that I would some day be marrying the prince. So, um.....wait, are those plantains?"

I hadn't noticed before, but several of the platters on the table before me were filled with fried plantains or platanos in Spanish. The advisor answered, "Yes. We thought that it would be nice to welcome our future lady with foods she was familiar with. Do you like them?"

"Oh...yes, thank you." I blushed. "Yes, so, um, I haven't really known the prince for too, long. I don't think I'm ready for marriage, but, um, I will try. I'm not guaranteeing that I will be the one, or that I will marry him someday, but I work with you and help you out."

It would seem that this is what they both wanted to hear. The prince's face broke out into a huge smile, and the advisor happily replied, "I am glad to hear that. Of course you don't have to agree to spend the rest of your life with him just yet. I'm sure though, that given time you will surely fall in love!"

I laughed nervously. I don't know why I agreed. I certainly never dreamed of someday becoming a queen. I mean, this is modern day, there is a supreme shortage of royal material to go around sweeping girls off their feet, let alone going around and finding someone based on their ability to lead. This was most of the dream. There was a little more about me starting to work with the prince to help make decisions about the state, but the conflict was over.

Weird huh? It's amazing how many dreams I have that involve a relationship and how very few of those involve normal relationships. What does this say about me? Given my total lack of relationships in real life, I have a suspicion that I just need a relationship, period. WTF.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the complete coherence of storyline in your dreams never ceases to amaze me. SO weird haha.
For instance, the other day I dreamed I was getting the post, and noticed my old cat Tyrack inside. When I opened it to let her out, a tiger leapt out and came at me. Aman and my friend Billy appeared from nowhere and struck up some manly poses to scare it off, so I decided to open another mailbox, out of which came ANOTHER tiger, which attacked the first one and accidentally saved our lives.
Yeah....my dreams don't make much sense haha.

-Sim

Machete said...

Still, that's pretty darn exciting. I want tigers in my dreams!